You are here

How do I let a party know that I have filed a civil action in which the party is named?

Filing without an attorney FAQ

Once your complaint is filed and you have paid the required filing fee, you will need to have a copy of the complaint delivered to each person you have named as a defendant. The way in which a copy of the complaint is delivered to the defendant(s) is called "service". The Clerk's Office can provide assistance on how to do this. If you did not pay the required filing fee, the court will review your Application to Proceed In Forma Pauperis and decide if you can proceed without paying the filing fee. The court will also review your complaint to determine whether a copy of the complaint should be delivered to the defendant(s). If the court decides that you do not have to pay the filing fee and determines that the complaint should be delivered to the defendant(s), the court will direct how service will be effected.  Typically, the court directs the Clerk's Office to serve the defendant(s).





FAQ Tag Type: 
Filing Without an Attorney-Filing