You are here

Attorney Admission Information

General Petition for Admission:

You are responsible for reviewing the Local Rules (specifically Local Rule 83) and the Electronic Case Filing Procedures Manual. Any questions or concerns may be addressed to the Clerk’s Office at: (319) 286-2300 or (712) 233-3900.

If you are seeking admission to:

Southern District of Iowa, please visit:

Iowa Northern Bankruptcy Court, please visit:

Qualifications for Admission:

A lawyer is qualified for admission to the bar of the district if the lawyer: 1) is currently in good standing as a lawyer admitted to practice in the state courts of Iowa; and 2) pays the $181.00 admission fee.

Procedure for Admission and Proof of Qualifications:

The attorney admission process is done online through the court’s CM/ECF system.  The Petition for Admission to Practice is filed and the admission fee is paid through the Attorney Registration System within the CM/ECF system.

One month is given to complete the attorney admission process.  If you have not completed the attorney admission process, you will receive notice 1 week prior to the one month deadline asking that you finish your admission. If you are not able to do so, your application and CM/ECF account will be deleted from the system and you will have to start the attorney admission process again when you are ready.

Admission paperwork: the Petition for Admission to Practice, must be saved in pdf format to be filed in the CM/ECF system. 

Petition for Admission Filing Procedure:

Please review the entire procedure before you begin:

  1. Complete the Petition for Admission to Practice and save as a .pdf document on your computer.
  1. Click this link to begin: Attorney Admission to Practice Process in CM/ECF.
  1. Complete the requested information on the screens.
  1. You will receive an email asking you to verify your email address. You cannot go any further in the process until this is done.
  1. After verification, you will receive an email with your CM/ECF login and instructions on how to file your Petition for Admission to Practice and how to pay the required admission fee. You will need to have your credit card information ready.
  1. You will receive a third email from the Clerk's Office confirming your admission.
  1. A Certificate of Admission and Certificate of Good Standing will be mailed to you.

This is not an automated process, so responses will not be instant. The Clerk's Office monitors the attorney admission to practice process section of CM/ECF periodically throughout the day and responds to the steps listed above accordingly.


**If you are a federal attorney, click this link to complete the Federal Attorney Petition for Admission

You will not be filing your Federal Attorney Petition in the CM/ECF system. When you have completed the Federal Attorney Petition email it to: