You are here

Will the court appoint an attorney to represent me?

Filing without an attorney FAQ

In a civil proceeding the court does not have to appoint counsel to represent you, and in most cases, it does not appoint counsel. However, you can ask the court to appoint counsel by filing a Motion for Appointment of Counsel. If you file a Motion for Appointment of Counsel, you must still proceed with your case by representing yourself; you cannot wait for the court to make a decision on your motion.



FAQ Tag Type: 
Filing Without an Attorney-Legal Representation